We hope you enjoy our new Parenting Collection upstairs by the juvenile non-fiction. Included in the collection are a variety of relevant topics from pregnancy to infancy to adolescence. Topics include pregnancy, childhood milestones, childhood and adolescent development, discipline, family issues such as divorce, death, and adoption, materials for parents of children with special needs, gifted education, potty training, Internet and stranger safety, homeschooling, health issues such as fitness, illness, and sex education, reading and math skills development, and playtime activities. If you are seeking a parenting topic we don’t have in our collection please let us know via phone, email, or in person. We seek to build a collection that is relevant to our users.
Below are links to great websites for parents, caregivers, and kids, as recommended by the American Library Association.
Check out this fantastic website from the American Library Association on how to Connect with Your Kids at the Library!
Recommended sites for Parents and Caregivers
- Pennsylvania Common Core Standards http://www.pdesas.org/Standard/CommonCore
- National Center for Learning Disabilities www.ncld.org
- Get Set for Kindergarten – a month by month guide for school readiness www.getset4k.org
- Hoagie’s Gifted Education Page has informational resources on gifted children and adults for parents, teachers, administrators, and mental health professionals. http://www.hoagiesgifted.org
- Adolescent Literacy has resources for parents and educators of kids in grades 4-12 to build background knowledge and reading comprehension. This site offers classroom strategies, book and author recommendations, blogs, newsletters, research and reports as well as a Spanish link. http://www.adlit.org
Recommended Sites for Books and Other Library Pertinent Information
- KidsClick! – directory of sites organized by subject, Dewey number, and reading level www.kidsclick.org
- Dewey Browse – web sites classified by the Dewey decimal system www.deweybrowse.org
- The Children’s Book Review – a wealth of information on children’s books for all ages www.thechildrensbookreview.com
- Booklist – reviews and information about new books and media for children www.booklistonline.com